Discover the Benefits of Wild Swimming at West Lexham
Have you delved into the world of wild swimming yet?
Wild swimming involves taking a dip in natural freshwater bodies like lakes, rivers, and even the open sea. Even better, it has several health benefits! Whether a beginner or a pro, wild swimming is a unique and refreshing way to take your countryside break, trail running, or camping experience to the next level. So why not give it a try?
In this article, we will explore wild swimming, why it’s so great, and why West Lexham is the perfect spot to dive into this adventure.
What is Wild Swimming?
Unlike swimming in man-made swimming pools, wild swimming offers a unique and immersive experience that allows you to connect with nature, providing a sense of peace and relaxation. Although wild swimming can be exhilarating, it should always be done safely, with consideration for the weather, water conditions, and surroundings. Additionally, it’s crucial to have the necessary gear and, if possible, to swim with a partner or group.
What are the Health Benefits of Wild Swimming?
Swimming in a fresh, exhilarating body of water hugely benefits your cardiovascular health by increasing blood flow, reducing blood pressure and improving overall circulation. As well as this, wild swimming can boost the immune system, reducing the risk of infections. Wild swimming is also an excellent way of staying in shape and reducing muscle damage. Studies have even found immersing yourself in cold water enhances exercise recovery and reduces DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) after exercise.
Beyond physical benefits, wild swimming has proven to have incredible mental health benefits, including helping release “feel-good” hormones, such as dopamine and serotonin, improving mood and helping to reduce anxiety. The thrill of wild swimming also puts people in the present moment, allowing them to relax, unwind and connect with their surroundings, particularly nature.
Tips for Beginners!
If you’re new to wild swimming, here are some tips to help you get started:
- Start small: Begin by swimming in shallow water near the edge. This will help you assess the conditions and how you feel in the water.
- Check the water temperature: Before getting in the water, check the temperature to ensure you don’t get a cold shock.
- Swim with a partner or in a group: Always swim with someone else; this ensures safety and a shared experience.
- Dress appropriately: Choose appropriate swimwear or wetsuit that is suitable for lower water temperatures.
- Assess the water conditions: Check for hazards such as sinkholes, currents, and unstable banks.
- Get in gradually: Start with shallow water and get used to the feeling. As you get more comfortable, you can slowly move into deeper water.
- Observe the water life: Wild swimming is an opportunity to enjoy the beauty of nature, like fish, flora, and fauna.
- Be mindful of the environment: Protect the environment- leave no footprint. Please don’t litter, respect the surroundings, and leave the site as you found it.
Discover West Lexham – Perfect Destination for Wild Swimming
Whilst staying at West Lexham, if you’re looking for an ideal spot to try wild swimming in Norfolk, our on-site lake is a pristine and natural freshwater body fed by a chalk stream, making it the perfect place for a refreshing swim while surrounded by nature’s beauty. The surrounding woodland provides natural shade and creates a relaxed atmosphere, perfect for unwinding and immersing in the surroundings. We also have lovers of Wild Swimming on-site, so if you need any guidance and advice on necessary gear or tips for beginners, we can provide that peace of mind.
Wild swimming offers an excellent opportunity to connect with nature, recharge and embrace a fun hobby with family and friends. With summer fast approaching, now is the perfect time to visit West Lexham for a countryside break and dip into wild swimming. So pack your swimsuit and get ready to make unforgettable memories at this hidden gem just outside Norfolk and Cambridge. Click here to book your stay today.
AT WEST LEXHAM WE HAVE A WEALTH OF FACILITIES ON OFFER:
The West Lexham Garden Kitchen | Unique and magical glamping | New event spaces | Group accommodation | Wild swimming | Kitchen Garden | Sanctuary Garden | Lakeside walks | Chalk Stream | Abundance of wildlife | Naturally filtered swimming pool open May to September and much much more …
You can only truly understand the magic once you have immersed yourself in West Lexham.