Wild Swimming at West Lexham
Wild swimming, or open water swimming, is a cold water therapy that is now considered one of life’s tonics. It has a proven positive impact on not only our physical health but our mental health as well. Wild swimming is simply the practice of swimming in a natural body of water, and with summer approaching, now is the perfect time to take a dip if you have been contemplating it.
Whether you are considering taking a dip for the first time or you might be a seasoned wild water swimmer, West Lexham is a hidden gem to enjoy this cold water therapy.
When you stay with us at West Lexham we want you to unplug and recharge, and reconnect with yourself, so when you leave you feel you have learnt something new about yourself, and evolved. Wild swimming is one way to reconnect, and realign your physical and mental health. The cold water immersion soothes muscle aches, relieves depression and boosts the immune system. Our natural endorphins are released, raising our mood, elating our senses and creating an addictive urge to dive back in. However the world may have seemed before a swim, it always looks fantastic afterwards.
Wild swimming offers many benefits, both mentally and physically –
- Lessens muscle soreness, and improves recovery
- Reduces body pain and inflammation
- Boosts your immune system – there’s a theory that the stress of the reaction to cold water immersion triggers an increase in white blood cell production – which provides a natural boost to your immune system.
- Improves circulation
- Boosts your brain power
- Potential weight loss (though not guaranteed) through improved metabolism
- ‘Cold adaptation’ – through repeated cold swimming it is possible to bring down blood pressure and cholesterol, reduce fat disposition, inhibit blood clotting and increase libido
- Good for your skin and hair
- Manage anxiety, stress and depression – as well as reducing stress, wild swimming actively boost levels of the happy hormones in our bodies
- Increase alertness, clarity and energy levels
- Mindfulness practice – When you’re swimming through cold water, all you can think about is the intense sensations in your body and the movement of the water around you. Everything you were worrying about before your swim just slips away for a little while. You are solely in the moment, focusing on your technique, your timing and your breathing.
- Feelings of euphoria and achievement and a sense of will power
- Reconnecting with nature
Before you dive straight in and start wild swimming, it’s important to be aware that there are also risks. Nearly all of the team at West Lexham have swam in our lake, and find it is a safe haven. It is still, clear water but we advise knowing your entry and exit points, have a buoyancy aid nearby, and never go wild swimming alone.
Get ready to feel alive.
AT WEST LEXHAM WE HAVE A WEALTH OF FACILITIES ON OFFER:
The West Lexham Garden Kitchen | Unique and magical glamping | New event spaces | Group accommodation | Wild swimming | Kitchen Garden | Sanctuary Garden | Lakeside walks | Chalk Stream | Abundance of wildlife | Naturally filtered swimming pool open May to September and much much more …
You can only truly understand the magic once you have immersed yourself in West Lexham.